Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Language Skills: A Big New Step

I can't say too much about my previous experience in the ESLTCP program because this is my first one! I'm taking three courses concurrently. But I can talk about my general experience in teaching English as an additional language.

I took the equivalent to course #2 in my education degree and found it very interesting. The best lessons were those that engaged students, taught practical and meaningful skills and incorporated everyday activities and situations.

Recently, I volunteered at the University of Manitoba's Intensive English for Academic Purposes Program and found it very eye-opening. It looked to me a balanced place to work; one where I could make a difference in the lives of students but they weren't so needy that their personal lives regularly interfered with the teaching and learning.

As a substitute teacher, I also work with children that have newly immigrated to Manitoba. I hope to be able to empathize with learning and a new language and culture.

I enjoyed Oura's article on task-based, authentic learning because this method allows for a connection between the classroom and the real world, the students' prior knowledge and what they eventually need to know. It gives meaning and relevancy to studying and practicing language.

No comments:

Post a Comment