Sunday, April 22, 2012

Language System: Grammar Scenario

It is true that native English speakers often learn some grammar 'naturally', but most children do take grammar in school, regardless of their language background. However, the research shows that a combination of balanced implicit and explicit grammar teaching is the best method. It is necessary to be both fluent and accurate in communication and grammar instruction provides much of the accuracy requirements. Plus, children who speak English as their mother tongue take many years to master the grammatical rules; a grammar class can help you learn the rules and exceptions much more quickly than 'naturally absorbing' them. I'm sorry the class feels boring to you; I will do my best to keep things interesting. Is there a particular topic that you would enjoy discussing in future classes? Or are there particular rules that you know very well, and don't want to practice further? I will think of ways to make learning grammar more inductive, by being taught through other activities, such as games, expressive writing or role-playing. I will also try to make the deductive instruction more interesting by using interactive materials. If you learn grammar, you will be better able to write an email to a friend, fill in a job application or or understand a letter from the bank.

After reading the blogs of other students, I realized that I have a certain weakness of being an EAL teacher: not having learned a second language fluently and using it in everyday life. Yes, I took basic French all through school but rarely practiced it outside of class. As such, I can't fully emphathize with the problems my students might be having because I haven't been in their shoes. I only see grammar issues through my own lens of experience; I thought of it as a necessary evil as a child, since I though I was going to use English for the rest of my life, even if I found it boring. I must keep these perspectives in mind in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I resonate with your comments where you say not learning a second language is a small set back in regards to teaching EAL and I too have noticed this. I took French in High school and that is where I learned grammar. Before that grammar didn't make sense to me. But of course learning french in high school doesn't mean I learned French. So I agree learning a second language is great for learning grammar in your first language and knowing how to teach it too.

    ReplyDelete